It was on a bright morning, to be precise, on the 15th of August 1940 that the Rt. Dr. Charles Heerey, then the Bishop of Onitsha, came to Enugu on an Episcopal visit. After administering to more than 800 people the sacrament of confirmation, he was treated to a very big reception organized and spearheaded by the ENUGU ABORIGENES UNION and the Parish Church Committee. Some of the members of the reception committee were Chief J. Oke Nwankwo, M.B.E., the late Joseph Edozie, the late Joseph Okpokwu, the Ezeokpos, the late P.C Peter, the late Nwakobi, the late M.U. Adams, Patrick Oji and the late J. Chinegwu. Many Catholics were invited to the function. Also present at the function were three principal advisers of the late Bishop including Rev Fathers T. Fox and the education secretary, Rev. Fr. Jordan.
In their well worded address, the members of the committee unequivocally, expressed the desire and the wish of the entire Catholics in Enugu to have a College. They strongly buttressed their case to the fact that Enugu, the capital of eastern Nigerian has no boys secondary school. The committee was also aware of the great potentialities of the Coal city and threatened that they might approach the government or even the protestant authority unless something was done immediately. The bishop, in his characteristic humble way, assured the populace that something would be done. This was greeted with great applause.
At Onitsha, all hands were on deck to work out details for the new college to start. The Rev. Fr. John Roche, who was a member of staff of C.K.C., was quickly chosen and recommended as the first principal of the college by the Rev. Fr. Flanagan, the principal of C.K.C.
On the January 2, 1942, C.I.C. started with an intake of only 46 students. Fr. J. Roche was quickly assisted by a new Irish priest, Rev Fr. Mcmahon.
The first set of tutors, who were dispatched to CIC Enugu, were merely seminarians and ex-students of CKC Onitsha headed by indomitable Dr. George Akabuogu assisted by Mr. Bernard Amasike, Mr. Okeke and Mathias Ezea. In January, 1943 another intake of 60 students was made, accommodated in St Patricks Church, Coal Camp Enugu. In the year, three other Seminarian tutors were also brought to CIC they were Stephen Ezeanya (now Late Archbishop of Onitsha), Michael Eneja (now late Bishop Emeritus of Enugu) and late Akuchiama. It was at this maternity hall that the College recorded 100 percent score in the Junior Cambridge Examiniation.
The College moved to its permanent site in 1944 and the only motorable road was through the Police Training School (Depot). It was a place scanty of water, light, infrastructure and in fact scanty of everything. Nevetherless, the students were determined to adhere to the motto of the College “Semper Fidelis”.
Father Roche laid the foundation and the Rev. Fr. Mcmahon watered the foundation. It was here that the College recorded another 100% score in the Senior Cambridge in 1945. The Rev. Fr. Mcmahom handled over to Fr. J. Keane in 1946. Many priests were appointed as tutors flooded the College including Prof. J. C Edozie (theAsagba of Asaba), J. Ene, D. Abii, Michael Nwafor, Flavian Peters now Chukwuma, Peter Nwaoji, F. Anakwenze, Odukwe, Lawrence Okpokwu and many others. Dr. George Akabuogu was the longest serving tutor in CIC. And he did his utmost best for the upliftment of the College. His name will be written in gold, so also is Bro. Aloysius of the Marist Brothers. Other principals and teachers contributed to the present growth of this famous College.